Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

How can I get to Zadar?

You can get to Zadar by bus, plane, ferry or by car. The fastest, cheapest and best way to get to Zadar is by bus. There are direct buses from several European cities, but in most cases you will have to make a change in Zagreb. If you change in Zagreb consider that there are several carriers providing the bus service. Check the timetables and ask for the validity of return tickets, you might be able to save a little by getting them.

You can plan your trip using the following sites:

International plane services in Zadar Airport operate only during the season, during off-season you will have to make a change in Zagreb to a domestic carrier to get to Zadar Airport.

A regular international ferry comes from Ancona, Italy. Please visit the Jadrolinija site for the timetable.

If you wish to come by car, you can take the highway A1 coming from Zagreb or the A6 and then A1 coming from Rijeka. The highways use a ticket system called ENC. More information on tolls can be found at the HAC website.

Car sharing sites also offer rides to Croatia, it is worth checking them or uploading your trip to save, both money and the environment.

How can I find accommodation in Zadar?

We have 6 places for international students in our dormitory which is provided on a first come first served basis. If you do not get a place in the dormitory you can rent an apartment or a room in the city of Zadar. Prices vary, but you can find a room for approx. 100 €, while the prices for apartments range between 150 and 350 € per month.

If you want to rent an apartment, it is advisable to find a roommate.

What are the arrival and semester dates for exchange students?

Please check the academic calendar here

What courses can I take?

Generally, the language of instruction is Croatian (except at Department of French and Francophone Studies, Department of Hispanic and Iberian Studies, Department of German Studies, Department of Italian Studies, English Department and Department of Russian Language and Literature). However, some of the courses are held in English and/or in other foreign languages. The list of these courses can be found here.

What is a PIN number and why do I need it?

The Personal Identification Number (PIN) is a permanent identifier of each Croatian citizen and legal person of the Republic of Croatia. It is determined and assigned by the Ministry of Finance - Tax Administration Office. If you would like to obtain the student X-card, a temporary residence permit or if you need to open a bank account in Croatia you must get a Personal Identification Number, which is called OIB in Croatia. 

What do I need to do to get residence permit?

Please visit Practical information!

Who has to sign my Learning Agreement?

Starting with the academic year 2019/2020 the University of Zadar accepts Online Learning Agreement (OLA) only while fully endorsing Erasmus Without Paper initiative which has been supported by the European Commission. For more information on procedure of signing the OLA click here.

Can I change courses in the Learning Agreement?      

Yes, you can make changes to the proposed Learning Agreement but they have to be approved by Departmental ERASMUS+ coordinator at University of Zadar and the responsible person at the sending institution.

What are the English language requirements at the University of Zadar?

The University of Zadar requires students to have very good language skills (in reading, writing and speaking) equivalent to level B2 on the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) scale. More information about Language requirements can be found here.

For more information please contact the International Relations Office!