Practical Information


We strongly recommend that all incoming students use the mentor service Buddy System UNIZD organised by the student organisation ESN Zadar. The Buddy System UNIZD helps incoming students in their arrival and stay in Zadar. More information on ESN Zadar and Buddy System UNIZD could be found here.



According to the law regarding foreigners, foreign nationals intending to study in Croatia must regulate their temporary residence for the purpose of studying if their stay in Croatia is longer than 90 days. International students are not allowed to attend classes at the University of Zadar until they have procured a residence permit.

Visa requirements: Nationals of countries subject to the visa requirement also need to procure an entry visa for Croatia (Viza C). Information on countries subject to the visa requirement can be found on the web site of the Croatian Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs. The visa application (Viza C) must be submitted to the diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Croatia in the foreign national’s home country. The visa application can be submitted either in person or via e-mail. A list of missions and consulates is available on web site of the Croatian Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.

Where to submit residence permit application: International students can submit residence permit application in one of two ways:

When to submit residence permit application: Students submitting an application to the diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Croatia in their home country should do so prior to their scheduled arrival in Croatia. The usual procedure can take three months or longer (including time needed for all the necessary documents to be translated into Croatian). There is also a fast-track option for handling the application and students can request this at the diplomatic mission or consulate, in which case they pay a higher fee. Students submitting the application to the Central Police Station in Zadar should do so immediately upon entering Croatia.

Application documents: Along with the application form for the residence permit, an international student must submit the following documents:

  1. Form 1a - for non-EEA countries or Form 1b - for EEA countries,
  2. One photo in colour that faithfully represent the person submitting the request  (30x35mm),
  3. Valid passport and copy of the passport (first page with the photography),
  4. Proof of secured housing (e.g. written proof of secured accommodation in the student dormitory or an apartment lease and proof of the landlord’s apartment ownership for students in private accommodation),
  5. Proof of health insurance (bilingual documents) coming from a home country that has a bilateral agreement on social and health security with Croatia. Nationals of countries that do not have aforementioned agreement with Croatia have to report to the Croatian Institute for Health Insurance (HZZO - Hrvatski zavod za zdravstveno osiguranje) to establish their right to health insurance under Croatian health insurance regulations,
  6. Proof of finances: a scholarship or proof of having access to finances in the amount of at least 1,000 Kuna per month during 12 months. The proof of receiving a scholarship is issued by the legal entity granting the scholarship and the proof of finances is issued by a bank in the form of a bank statement,
  7. Proof of admittance to a higher education institution in Croatia (acceptance letter from the University of Zadar stating the study purpose of your stay (in Croatian).

Application fee: The application fee for the first temporary residence permit for the purpose of studying is 520 Kuna (around 70 EUR). International students receiving a grant from the Croatian Ministry of Science, Education and Sports and Erasmus students are exempted from this fee.

Duration of residence permit: The temporary residence permit is usually granted for the duration of one year or for the duration of the academic year. Temporary residence authorization is entered into the passport in the form of an adhesive label.

For more information the student should visit the web page of the Croatian Ministry of the Interior.



During their stay in Croatia, all international students with temporary residence must have health insurance. Regulated health insurance is the prerequisite for being granted temporary residence permit.

Countries with health care agreements with Croatia: Croatia regulates the issue of health care for foreign nationals during their stay in Croatia through agreements on social security signed with the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Montenegro, the Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and the United Kingdom. Students from the aforementioned countries are recommended to contact their public health insurance provider before arriving in Croatia in order to obtain the document which enables them to receive health care in Croatia. The right to health care is realised as foreseen in the social security contract received by each student. Health care is provided to foreign nationals in the same way and under the same conditions as Croatian insurance holders: within the network of physicians and health care institutions of the Croatian Institute for Health Insurance (HZZO - Hrvatski zavod za zdravstveno osiguranje). International students have to cover only the participation fees, if these are prescribed by Croatian laws.

Countries without health care agreements with Croatia: Students from countries which do not have social security agreements with Croatia (or if students are unable to obtain the document foreseen by the social security agreement) are obliged upon entry into Croatia to become insured with the Croatian Institute for Health Insurance (HZZO). In order to register with the HZZO, students should report to the HZZO’s appropriate branch office. Students should present their student identification number, which is issued to each student at the central police station upon applying for temporary residence. The HZZO will then temporarily register the student and issue a certificate. This certificate must then be presented at the central police station before students can be granted temporary residence. Once temporary residence has been granted, the HZZO issues a document based on which the student attains the right to full health care within the network of physicians and health institutions of the HZZO. The monthly health insurance cost is approximately 400 Kuna per month (around 55 EUR), for which the appropriate Tax Department of the Ministry of Finances sends money orders to the students’ registered places of residence in Croatia.

Visiting students funded by Ministry of Science, Education and Sports: The Ministry of Science, Education and Sports covers the health insurance expenses for all foreign nationals that are grant receivers of the Ministry, if so foreseen in the grant contract.

Erasmus students: Erasmus students staying temporarily in Croatia are exempted from paying the fee for compulsory health insurance in Croatia. They may use international health insurance from their home country or choose to be insured at the health insurance company of their choice.

How to access health care services in Zadar: General health care services can be accessed by selecting a primary health care physician, whereas health care on other levels (e.g. hospital, specialist examinations) can be accessed by way of a reference document (uputnica) issued by the selected physician.

The University of Zadar has no its own clinic centre but the student can choose any general physician. The list of general physicians in Zadar could be found here. In very urgent cases the student can call the emergency service (phone: 94) or go directly to the emergency service clinic (Adress: Ivana Mažuranića 28a, 23 000 Zadar).

Pharmacies are called Ljekarna and during the week they are open all day long from 8 AM till 20 PM, while on Sundays and holidays one of the pharmacies in the centre of the city is open 24 hours (you can find out which one here).

For all additional information regarding health insurance, please contact the HZZO:

Croatian Institute for Health Insurance (HZZO)

Margaretska 3, 10 000 Zagreb

Phone: 385 1 4806 333

Fax: 385 1 4812 606


Web address:


Office of the Croatian Institute for Health Insurance (HZZO) in Zadar

Šimuna Kožičića-Benje 2, 23 000 Zadar

Phone: 385 23 208 900

Fax: 385 251 314




 After the arrival, exchange students must register in the International Relations Office where s/he will get the Exchange student’s record sheet, X-card (if the exchange programme provides it) and AAI account with password for Internet access.

Exchange student’s record sheet contains student’s personal information, list of the courses that will be attended and, after passing exams, grades.

X-card is student identify card issued by the Croatian Ministry of Education, Science and Sports (MZOŠMinistarstvo znanosti, obrazovanja i športa). By the presentation of this identification card the student can enjoy the discount prices in student bars and restaurants. MZOŠ provides X-cards for Erasmus and CEEPUS incoming students.

AAI account is the account of AAI@EduHr system which provides free wireless Internet access in the Student Dormitory and University facilities. If student’s home country is connected to the pan-european roaming system Eduroam or eduGAIN, student can use the identity account s/he got in his/her home university. Otherwise, the student will get an AAI account upon arrival at the University.



All the information about the courses could be found here or by contacting ECTS coordinator at the departments. The list of ECTS coordinates at the departments could be found here.


Foreign students have opportunity to attend a free Croatian language course during the semester (2 hours per week, 2 ECTS). Contact person for the information and registration for the Course is Ms. Nataša Burčul (e-mail:, phone: 385(0)23 200 633).


 Although University of Zadar has infrastructure to host students and staff with disabilities (accommodation, classroom access, etc.), depending on the nature of the disability, we strongly advise to provide as much information ahead of time in order to inform the student/staff of the feasibility of the mobility.

Contact person: Stipe Živaljić, prof., e-mail:

If you have any questions or problems please contact the International Relations Office!